3D Learning and Training Special Interest Group
ASTD Golden Gate Chapter’s 3D Learning and Training SIG was formed to explore and develop capabilities for virtual learning that are:
- Highly effective.
We welcome any and all ASTD Golden Gate Chapter members to join us in this exciting exploration of 3D environments for learning and training.
Regular meetings are held the third Friday
of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm.
The SIG meetings generally occur (or commence) at a specific location in the virtual world of Second Life, requiring no real-life travel, but they do require some initial preparations for those who are new to Second Life:
- Download and install Second Life (SL)
- Set up a (free) SL account and create your avatar
- Attend a pre-meeting orientation/training to learn the basics of functioning in a 3D environment (for those with little or no experience in 3D environments)
Developing and conducting training in 3D offers new capabilities for virtual learning. However, it also requires the development of new skills and practices. For some trainers, these new capabilities will be the answer they’ve been looking for. But 3D training is not the answer for everyone. All are welcome to come and give it a tryundefinedgo through the orientation training, attend a meeting or two, etc. Some may decide this tool isn’t relevant for their needs. Those who decide to become members of the 3D Learning and Training SIG will benefit from, and contribute to, the group learning that occurs and will make the following commitments to the group:
- Learn and practice the basic skills needed to operate in/use the 3D environment
- Attend the regular monthly meetings
- Notify Carla Kincaid-Yoshikawa (or Bruce Gross) if you will be absent (or late) so we are not waiting for you in Second Life
- Work collaboratively with other SIG members by sharing your knowledge, creative ideas, and feedback to enhance everyone’s experience and develop effective processes and practices for 3D training
- If you decide to withdraw from membership in the SIG, notify Carla so she can remove you from the distribution list.
For those who are ready to explore this new horizon, please review the following information about the process for participating.
FIRST STEPS INTO THE WORLD OF 3D:
Read through the information below, which is a step-by-step guide for getting set up and ready to enter the 3D world. Contact if you have any questions, or to set up a pre-meeting orientation/training session. And view the 6-minute e-learning, “Getting Started in 3D
” to see how to log in at the meeting site, get VOIP working, adjust background sounds and move objects.
SECOND LIFE BASICS:
Getting started with Second Life (where we launch our 3D explorations):
5 STEPS TO PARTICIPATE:
- It works with both PCs and Macs
- It’s free to download and basic membership is also free
- Check System Requirements at http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/
- You must have a high speed connection
- Download it at http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/
- To make the most of Second Life, using their VOIP capability is a huge plus. You’ll need
- A headset with built-in microphone. (Most of the time, using a laptop’s built-in speakers and microphone results in miserable screeching noises for others in the vicinity, so it isn’t recommended.) Effective headphones with microphones can be found for approximately $20-$25, regular price.
- Chat is also available for communicating in Second Life, but VOIP offers a much richer interpersonal, interactive experience, with Chat supplementing as an additional means of asking questions, offering feedback and comments, etc.
- Download and install Second Life (this is painless)
- Create your free account and avatar (this is very fast and easy to do)
- There is an option to download SL after creating your avatar
- After creating your avatar, they will send a link to your e-mail to confirm and activate your account
- Go through a basic training/orientation session before attending your first meeting. This is very important! and can be done in two ways:
- Preferred: Contact Carla Kincaid-Yoshikawa to set up a time for a pre-meeting training session. Send her an e-mail at Carla@Traininginthe21stCentury.com
- Also possible: After activation, log into SL using your new avatar name and password and go to SL’s Welcome Island, which has an orientation area that will take you through some basics of movement, etc.
- Read everything around you as you proceed, and follow the path and instructions to gain the basic skills needed.
- If you try this method but it doesn’t work for you, contact Carla at the e-mail address above in section 3a.
- In addition, contact Carla to:
- Let her know you’re planning to attend the meeting and give her your avatar’s name. (This makes it much easier to find each other and reconnect if anything goes wrong during a meeting.) Her SL avatar isCarla Kincaid-Yoshikawa.
- Ensure you have correct, up-to-date information to get to the meeting site (SL is a big universe and meetings may be held in a variety of locations).
- Follow the instructions sent and join us to learn together and have fun.